Other Books in Series
This is book number 5 in the Bell Elkins series.
- #1: A Killing in the Hills: The First Bell Elkins Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #1) (Paperback): $9.99
- #2: Bitter River: A Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #2) (Paperback): $15.99
- #3: Summer of the Dead: A Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #3) (Paperback): $15.99
- #4: Last Ragged Breath: A Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #4) (Hardcover): Email or call for price.
- #6: Fast Falls the Night: A Bell Elkins Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #6) (Paperback): $16.99
- #7: Bone on Bone: A Bell Elkins Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #7) (Paperback): $17.99
- #8: The Cold Way Home: A Novel (Bell Elkins Novels #8) (Hardcover): $27.99
In 1944, three young men from a small town in West Virginia are among the American forces participating in D-Day, changing the fortunes of the war with one bold stroke. How is that moment aboard a Navy ship as it barrels toward the Normandy shore related to the death of an old man in an Appalachian nursing home seventy-two years later?
In Sorrow Road, a mystery from Pulitzer Prize-winning writer Julia Keller, two stories--one set in the turbulent era of World War II and one in the present day--are woven together to create a piercingly poignant tale of memory and family, of love and murder.
Bell Elkins, prosecuting attorney in Acker's Gap, West Virginia, is asked by an old acquaintance to look into the death of her beloved father in an Alzheimer's care facility. Did he die of natural causes--or was something more sinister to blame? And that's not the only issue with which Bell is grappling: Her daughter Carla has moved back home. But something's not right. Carla is desperately hiding a secret.
Once again, past and present, good and evil, and revenge and forgiveness clash in a riveting story set in the shattered landscape of Acker's Gap, where the skies can seem dark even at high noon, and the mountains lean close to hear the whispered lament of the people trapped in their shadow.